We respect your privacy and take significant efforts to protect all your data.
Keeping our customers' data secure is the most important thing that Advocately does, keeping Advocately secure is fundamental to our business.
Incident Response Plan
- We have implemented a formal procedure for security events and have educated all our staff on our policies.
- When security events are detected they are escalated to our emergency alias, teams are paged, notified and assembled to rapidly address the event.
- After a security event is fixed we write up a post-mortem analysis.
- The analysis is reviewed in person, distributed across the company and includes action items that will make the detection and prevention of a similar event easier in the future.
Build Process Automation
- We have functioning, frequently used automation in place so that we can safely and reliably rollout changes to both our application and operating platform within minutes.
- We typically deploy several times a day, so we have high confidence that we can get a security fix out quickly when required.
- All of our services run in the cloud. Advocately does not run our own routers, load balancers, DNS servers, or physical servers.
- The vast majority of our services and data are hosted in Heroku facilities in the USA. Advocately services have been built with disaster recovery in mind.
- Advocately uses Postgres' backup solution for datastores that contain customer data.
We have uptime of 99.9% or higher.
- All customer data is stored in the USA.
- Customer data is stored in multi-tenant datastores, we do not have individual datastores for each customer. However strict privacy controls exist in our application code to ensure data privacy and prevent one customer from accessing another customers data. We have many unit and integration tests in place to ensure these privacy controls work as expected. These tests are run every time our codebase is updated and even one single test failing will prevent new code being shipped to production.
- All data sent to or from Advocately is encrypted in transit using 256 bit encryption.
- Our API and application endpoints are TLS/SSL only and score an "A+" rating on SSL Labs' tests.
- Advocately is served 100% over https.
- We have two-factor authentication (2FA) and strong password policies on GitHub, Google and Heroku to ensure access to cloud services are protected.
Permissions and Admin Controls
- Access to billing is only available to the billing user.
- We bi-annually engage with well-regarded third-party auditors to audit our code-base, and work with them to resolve potential issues.
- We use technologies such as Papertrail to provide an audit trail over our infrastructure and the Advocately application. Auditing allows us to do ad-hoc security analysis, track changes made to our setup and audit access to every layer of our stack.
We're committed to supporting our customers to prepare for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We're working on implementing our readiness programme across our organization. This involves:
- Conducting a gap analysis
- Planning policy and product changes, specifically around data access, management and portability
- Reviewing our contract commitments with our customers and vendors
At the same time we're closely following the developing interpretations and guidelines on key provisions of the GDPR from the EU Article 29 Working Party and are adapting our plans accordingly.
We'll be ready to share more detailed information regarding our progress soon and commit to being GDPR ready by the 25 May 2018.
Advocately is not subject to PCI obligations. All payment instrument processing is outsourced to Chargebee.